Lusaka – On Thursday, Zambian police announced that they will interview opposition presidential candidate Brian Mundubile and his running mate Makebi Zulu. The summons is part of a broader investigation into an alleged plot that authorities say threatens national security.
Background to the summons
Mundubile finished second in the August 13 presidential election, a contest that saw incumbent President Hakainde Hichilema secure a second term. Mundubile has repeatedly claimed the vote was rigged and said he will challenge the result in court. President Hichilema, who has been in office since 2021, has denied any fraud.
Following the election, police conducted a raid that resulted in the arrest of several opposition figures. During the operation, former minister Mutotwe Kafwaya was killed in an exchange of gunfire. After the raid, Mundubile went into hiding, citing concerns for his safety.
Police statement
In a statement released late Thursday, the police said they intended to interview Mundubile and Zulu as part of the national‑security investigation. The statement added that the pair had sought refuge “under international law with a known international organisation,” though it did not identify the organization.
Police also indicated that formal call‑out notices have been served on the legal representatives of Mundubile and Zulu, signaling that the authorities are moving forward with the inquiry.
Reactions from the opposition
Mundubile could not be reached for comment at the time of writing. However, he has previously described the police’s allegations as fabricated and has warned that the summons could be used to intimidate opposition voices.
Makebi Zulu, the running mate, has not publicly responded to the police’s request either. Their legal teams are expected to review the summons and determine the appropriate course of action.
Implications for Zambia’s political climate
The development adds another layer of tension to an already charged post‑election environment. International observers have called for a transparent and peaceful resolution to any disputes arising from the vote.
Both the ruling party and the opposition have emphasized the importance of respecting constitutional processes. While President Hichilema maintains that the election was free and fair, the opposition’s legal challenge and the police investigation underscore lingering mistrust among segments of the electorate.
What comes next?
The scheduled interviews are expected to take place in the coming days. Depending on the outcome, the investigation could lead to further legal action or, alternatively, be dismissed if no evidence of wrongdoing is found.
Zambia’s judiciary will likely play a central role if the opposition proceeds with its court challenge. Observers will be watching closely to see how the legal and political institutions handle the competing claims.
For now, the nation awaits clarification from both the police and the opposition, as the situation continues to evolve.
Original reporting: Appleton, WI News Feed (HLL/CB) — read the source article.