GRANT PARK — NASCAR confirmed it will not hold a street race in Chicago’s Grant Park for the 2027 season. The decision follows an inability between city officials and the racing organization to lock down a date for the event.
Background
The Chicago street race debuted in 2023 and ran through 2025, drawing fans to a downtown circuit that wound through the city’s iconic streets. Earlier this summer, NASCAR told members of the Grant Park Advisory Council that a return was “close” to being announced.
Scheduling impasse
Negotiations stalled as the city expressed a desire to avoid scheduling the race over the Fourth of July weekend, a period traditionally busy with other civic celebrations and public‑service activities. NASCAR, meanwhile, needed to finalize its broader 2027 calendar and could not wait for a mutually agreeable date.
Sources said the two parties could not reconcile these timing concerns, leading NASCAR to move forward with a schedule that excludes Chicago for the upcoming year.
Next steps
NASCAR is expected to issue an official statement on Tuesday afternoon confirming the cancellation and outlining its plans for the rest of the 2027 season. City officials have not indicated whether they will revisit the possibility of a future race under different circumstances.
Fans who anticipated the return of the high‑speed downtown spectacle will have to wait for further announcements. The race’s absence marks a shift in Chicago’s summer event lineup, affecting local businesses that benefited from the influx of visitors during race weekends.
Impact on the community
Local merchants in the downtown area had counted on the race to boost sales, especially in hospitality and retail sectors. The cancellation may prompt a reassessment of summer marketing strategies for these businesses.
Community leaders emphasized the importance of balancing large‑scale events with the city’s broader calendar, noting that public safety, traffic management, and resident concerns remain top priorities.
Looking ahead
While the 2027 race will not take place, the partnership between Chicago and NASCAR remains open to future collaboration. Both sides indicated a willingness to explore alternative dates or formats that align with the city’s schedule and the sport’s national itinerary.
For now, Chicago residents can look forward to other summer attractions, and NASCAR fans will keep an eye on the organization’s upcoming schedule for new race venues.
Original reporting: Block Club Chicago — read the source article.