Detroit police are investigating a tragic incident that unfolded on the city’s northwest side earlier this week. Officers responded to a call at approximately 9:30 p.m. on Thursday, August 20, to a residence on the 15500 block of Stoepel Street.
Upon arrival, detectives found a man and a woman deceased inside the home. Their identities have not been released pending notification of next of kin. While conducting the initial investigation, officers learned that another individual associated with the residence had not been seen for some time.
Additional Discovery in Basement
Police returned to the property on Friday, August 21, to continue their inquiry. During that follow‑up, investigators discovered the remains of a third person in the home’s basement. The cause of death for all three victims remains unknown at this time.
Detective Lieutenant Mark Johnson, who is leading the investigation, told reporters that the department is treating the case as a homicide investigation but has not ruled out other possibilities. “We are following all leads and working closely with forensic specialists to determine what happened,” Johnson said.
Authorities have emphasized that there is no ongoing threat to the public. The neighborhood surrounding Stoepel Street has been advised to remain calm while the investigation proceeds. Police have asked anyone with information about the incident to contact the Detroit Police Department’s tip line.
Community Impact
The discovery has shaken residents of the northwest Detroit area, many of whom expressed concern for safety and asked for increased police visibility. Local community leaders have called for support for the families of the deceased and for resources to help neighbors cope with the loss.
Mayor Mike Duggan’s office released a brief statement offering condolences to the families and reaffirming the city’s commitment to public safety. “Our thoughts are with the loved ones of those who have been lost,” the statement read. “We will continue to work diligently to bring answers to this tragic situation.”
The investigation remains ongoing, and Detroit police have not set a timeline for when additional details may be released. Updates will be provided as new information becomes available.
Original reporting: Warren | FOX 2 Detroit — read the source article.