The Kennedy Center announced in court filings that it intends to place an inscription reading “Restored and Renovated by President Donald J. Trump” on the front of its building as early as September 8. The move follows a recent board vote to close the venue for a multi‑year renovation and to rename the site in honor of the former president.
Legal background
A U.S. District Judge previously ruled that the Center violated the law when it added Trump’s name alongside that of President John F. Kennedy. The ruling was brought by Democratic Representative Joyce Beatty, who argued the naming exceeded the Center’s statutory authority. Beatty’s attorneys have asked the judge to intervene again, seeking an order that prevents the Center from proceeding until the legality of the change is resolved.
Board’s plan and funding goal
The Center’s board, which includes several appointees selected by the former president, says the inscription will appear below the existing Kennedy Center sign. The board also indicated that a further naming honor could be added if a dedicated endowment reaches $100 million. In addition, the board plans to rename the parcel of land on which the building sits after Trump.
Current status of the building
Earlier this summer, the Center removed Trump’s name from the façade after Judge Christopher Cooper, an Obama appointee, ordered that only Kennedy’s name could appear. Workers covered the former lettering with tarps and scaffolding, citing the need to repair damage to the area where the name had been displayed. The Center now claims the scaffolding remains to allow engineers to investigate structural repairs to the overhead soffit, though critics note the soffit is more than twenty feet above the scaffolding and question the necessity of the continued obstruction.
Opposition’s arguments
Beatty’s lawyers argue the Center’s explanations are insufficient and that the continued tarps and scaffolding serve primarily to hide the building’s official name, effectively defying the earlier court order. They have asked Judge Cooper to issue an order requiring the Center to remove the tarps and to explain why the name should not be restored before the court’s next hearing.
Broader context
This dispute is part of a series of lawsuits challenging former President Trump’s efforts to place his name on historic sites and monuments across the Washington, D.C., area. Critics contend that the renovations and naming initiatives are designed to bolster the Center’s attendance and programming at a time when ticket sales have been declining.
Next steps
The Center has told the court it will not reinstall Trump’s name until at least September 8, pending a judicial decision on the matter. The case remains active, and further court filings are expected as both sides prepare for a hearing on the legality of the proposed inscription.
Original reporting: KEYT (Ventura/Santa Barbara) — read the source article.