Dallas‑area fans received an unsettling glimpse of preseason football on Tuesday when the Cowboys held a joint practice with the New Orleans Saints in Oxnard, California. According to NBC 5’s Newy Scruggs, officials counted at least eight separate fights during the session, a level of aggression that prompted head coach Brian Schottenheimer to describe the day as “sloppy” and to weigh the possibility of canceling the practice.
Fights break out across the field
The skirmishes began early, with brief dust‑ups quickly escalating into full‑field confrontations. Second‑year linebacker Donovan Ezeiruaku was ejected after throwing a punch, marking the second time this camp he has been removed for such conduct. Earlier in the week, Ezeiruaku had also been tossed from a practice for striking Cowboys tackle Terrence Steele.
Cowboys cornerback Caelen Carson also threw a punch, captured on video by The Dallas Morning News. Unlike Ezeiruaku, Carson remained in the practice after the incident, which followed a Saints player grabbing his facemask.
Coach Schottenheimer’s response
After the practice, Schottenheimer was blunt about the chaos. “Right now, I’m in charge of fight club,” he said, adding that he stayed out of the fights himself but was disappointed in the overall work product. He noted that the team had too many bodies on the ground and that the lack of discipline hindered the intended preparation.
Schottenheimer explained that he and offensive coordinator Kellen Moore discussed possibly canceling the session if the fighting continued. “We settled into it, but there’s a discipline element to playing this football game, and unfortunately we didn’t handle that very well today,” he said.
On‑field performance amid the turmoil
Despite the disruptions, the Cowboys’ first‑team offense managed to move the ball effectively against the Saints, highlighted by a solid showing from wide receiver George Pickens. The unit did suffer an interception, but overall the offensive snaps showed promise heading into the final preseason game at AT&T Stadium on Aug. 28.
Veteran presence arrives
The practice also marked the arrival of two‑time Super Bowl champion Von Miller, who met with the media in Oxnard. Miller, 37, emphasized his confidence as a teammate and his continued ability to generate pressure on the quarterback. He referenced his nine sacks from last season with Washington, noting that those numbers would have led the Cowboys in that category.
“When it comes to playing football and getting sacks, I could still roll out of bed to do that,” Miller said. “It’s a mix of athletic ability and mental preparation, and I still have both.”
Looking ahead
The Cowboys and Saints will meet again in the season‑ending preseason matchup at AT&T Stadium on Aug. 28. Fans will be watching to see whether the discipline issues observed in Oxnard are resolved before the final exhibition game.
Original reporting: Dallas TX News (HLL/CB) — read the source article.