On Friday, a Muslim cemetery on the North‑African tip of Ceuta held its first burials of migrants who perished during the territory’s most lethal border incident in recent memory. Gravediggers lowered four body bags into cinder‑block plots while a small crowd of locals observed the solemn ceremony.
Background to the tragedy
Three weeks earlier, more than 90 migrants lost their lives as they attempted to breach Ceuta’s fortified breakwater. The surge was sparked by a wave of misinformation, extreme poverty and a lack of economic opportunity that drove an estimated 72,000 people to pour into the Spanish enclave bordering Morocco.
Many of the deceased drowned or were crushed in a stampede as they tried to scale the barrier near a checkpoint. All of those buried on Friday were men, according to Said Mohammed, the acting manager of the cemetery. The graves were marked with numbered stones so families can claim the bodies when identification is completed.
Calls for identification and repatriation
The Moroccan Association for Human Rights, a left‑leaning non‑governmental organization, urged Ceuta to pause the burials until every effort could be made to identify the bodies and return them to Morocco, the country of origin for most of the migrants. In a statement, the NGO asked Morocco’s foreign ministry to ensure that “the bodies are returned to the families so they can be buried with dignity.”
A spokesperson for Ceuta’s city government said paperwork to repatriate the remains had been finalized, but Morocco had not yet accepted the documents. Morocco’s foreign ministry declined to comment on the burials or on any alleged obstruction to repatriation.
Ongoing humanitarian concerns
While many of those who entered Ceuta in late July returned to Morocco shortly after arrival, local authorities estimate that up to 10,000 migrants— including women and children— may still be residing in the small Spanish city. Spain’s national government reports a lower figure of around 5,000. The lingering presence of thousands of undocumented migrants continues to strain local resources as authorities and residents work to provide shelter, food and medical care.
Both Moroccan and Spanish officials have blamed social‑media rumors and human‑smuggling networks for the deadly surge, while many migrants cited unemployment and low wages as the primary motivators for the perilous journey.
Religious customs observed
During the burial, an Islamic cleric recited prayers and chants praising God, and the bodies were placed facing Mecca in accordance with Islamic tradition. The ceremony highlighted the deep faith of the deceased and underscored the cultural ties that bind the migrant community to their religious heritage.
As the graves are numbered for future identification, families in Morocco and elsewhere hope to receive confirmation of their loved ones’ fates. The situation remains fluid, and additional burials are expected in the coming days.
Original reporting: Alexandria, VA News – WTOP News — read the source article.