On Thursday, a chartered flight carrying 161 Haitian illegal immigrants landed in Cap‑Haitien, marking the first U.S. deportation to Haiti since the Department of Homeland Security revoked Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for roughly 350,000 Haitians living in the United States. The arrival was announced by DHS Secretary Markwayne Mullin on X earlier that morning.
Local response in Cap‑Haitien
Residents gathered at the airport as the plane touched down. Some embraced the ground with tears, while others quickly turned away from the press. Mechanic Demonstène Reynold, a Cap‑Haitien resident, warned, “Cap‑Haitien alone can’t receive more people. We’re already hosting displaced families from Hinche, Port‑au‑Prince, and other interior regions.”
Hospital Fort Saint Michel administrator Louis Ronald Espoir confirmed that the city’s medical facilities are operating at full capacity. “All the hospitals in the region are full despite the best efforts of the government. If they’re full with the current population, I’d be lying to say we can take in anyone else,” he said.
Background on TPS and the new policy
Since the 2010 earthquake, Haiti’s northern coast, especially Cap‑Haitien, has become a hub for internally displaced persons fleeing disaster and violence. TPS, granted by the Trump administration in 2010, allowed eligible Haitians in the United States to remain and work legally. This month, the administration secured a court ruling that removed those protections, opening the door for mass deportations.
Secretary Mullin defended the decision on CNN’s “State of the Union,” arguing that Haiti is safe for returnees and that the State Department’s “do not travel” advisory was intended to protect Americans, not Haitians. He also linked the advisory to concerns about kidnapping, claiming that criminal groups target U.S. citizens for ransom.
Concerns about safety and capacity
Human‑rights groups in the United States have raised alarms about sending people back to a nation still grappling with gang violence, kidnappings, and a fragile health system. The Federal Aviation Administration has prohibited commercial U.S. flights to Haiti, yet the government proceeded with the chartered deportation.
Former Cap‑Haitien mayor Angie Bell emphasized the need for development and security measures before large numbers of returnees arrive. She estimated the city’s population has grown from about 350,000 in the 2003 census to at least 800,000 today, with many workers living in outlying areas due to a housing shortage.
Assistance for deportees
The Haitian government and aid agencies, including the International Office for Migration, are providing limited assistance: food, a modest cash stipend for onward travel, temporary lodging, and help locating family members. However, officials noted that some deportees are unfamiliar with Haiti. Migration agency head Jean Négot Bonheur Delva said one passenger had never set foot in Haiti, having been born in the Dominican Republic to Haitian parents before moving to the United States.
What’s next?
Local authorities fear that additional flights could strain already overburdened services. While Cap‑Haitien is considered safer than the capital, Port‑au‑Prince, the influx of returnees could exacerbate existing challenges in housing, health care, and public safety. The U.S. Department of Homeland Security has not commented on the flight or the broader deportation plan.
As the situation develops, Haitian officials and international aid groups are urging the United States to consider the humanitarian impact of rapid deportations and to coordinate assistance that matches the city’s capacity.
Original reporting: El Paso News (HLL/CB) — read the source article.