President Donald Trump used his Truth Social platform on Tuesday to announce a three‑day pause on the 50% tariffs that were set to hit $20 billion worth of Canadian imports at 12:01 a.m. Wednesday. The suspension comes after the United States and Canada reached a last‑minute deal less than two hours before the tariffs were to take effect.
Deal details and immediate impact
Trump’s post read, “I have paused the 50% tariffs against Canada, that were scheduled to kick in tomorrow morning for a three‑day period, based on the fact that Canada and the U.S.A., subject to the finalization of documents, have a DEAL!” The agreement buys time for both sides to complete the necessary paperwork and prevents the tariffs from immediately affecting a range of products, from hockey sticks to medical supplies such as tongue depressors.
Background on the tariff threat
The tariffs were being imposed under Section 338 of the Tariff Act of 1930, a provision that allows the president to levy up to 50% duties on imports from countries that discriminate against U.S. businesses. Section 338 has never been used before. Trump invoked it as a leverage tool in the ongoing renegotiation of the United States‑Mexico‑Canada Agreement (USMCA), seeking fresh concessions from Ottawa.
Canada had warned it would retaliate with its own measures if the tariffs were implemented, a move that could have escalated into a broader trade dispute. The two nations exchanged goods and services worth $880 billion last year, making a trade war especially costly for both economies.
Political and economic context
Beyond the economic calculus, the timing of the tariffs was politically sensitive. The United States faces a midterm election cycle in November, and many voters are already frustrated by rising living costs. Imposing a steep import tax could have increased prices for American consumers, a risk the administration appears keen to avoid at this juncture.
“I don’t think either side really wants these tariffs to come into effect,” said Ryan Majerus, a partner at King & Spalding and former U.S. trade official. “There’s a pretty strong push on both sides to find an off‑ramp here.”
Reactions from Canadian officials and business leaders
Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney issued a statement noting “substantial progress” but emphasizing that important work remains. He confirmed Canada’s agreement to the three‑day delay while negotiations continue.
Candace Laing, President and CEO of the Canadian Chamber of Commerce, called the pause a temporary relief for businesses but said it fell short of the certainty a signed interim agreement would provide. “This limbo state is not anyone’s preferred outcome,” she said, urging negotiators to reach a definitive deal quickly.
Legal backdrop
Last year, the Supreme Court struck down a series of double‑digit tariffs Trump imposed on many countries, ruling that the administration had exceeded its authority. The court’s decision required the federal government to refund importers affected by those duties. That setback has led the administration to look for alternative legal bases, such as the 1930 tariff law, to pursue its trade agenda.
What’s next?
The three‑day pause is intended to give both governments time to finalize documentation and negotiate a more permanent solution. While the immediate threat of the 50% tariffs has been averted, the underlying dispute over Section 338’s use and the broader USMCA renegotiations remain unresolved. Stakeholders on both sides will be watching closely for any further developments before the next election cycle.
Original reporting: NBC4 Los Angeles — read the source article.