In a letter sent Tuesday, Michigan Senator Elissa Slotkin asked Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Dan Caine to confirm that the Department of Defense will not send federal troops to polling locations or seize any election materials during the November midterm elections.
Background and concerns
Slotkin, a Democrat, told the Associated Press that former President Donald Trump has repeatedly suggested the election could be stolen and has hinted at using the military to intervene. She cited Trump’s 2020 comments about seizing voting machines and his deployment of the National Guard to cities against the wishes of Democratic leaders, as well as the use of active‑duty Marines in Los Angeles during his 2025 immigration crackdown.
“He’s very clearly laying the breadcrumbs to be able to say the day after the election that he didn’t really lose the House or he didn’t really lose the Senate,” Slotkin said.
Secretary Hegseth’s response
During an April congressional hearing, Hegseth described a similar question as a “gotcha hypothetical.” He later wrote that he has never been ordered to do anything illegal and would not follow such an order. The Pentagon confirmed via email that it will respond directly to Slotkin’s request, as it does with all congressional correspondence.
Legal framework
Federal law restricts the deployment of armed federal forces to election sites unless it is “necessary to repel armed enemies of the United States.” If any military involvement were to occur, it would most likely involve the National Guard, which operates under state authority.
In 2020, then‑Chairman of the Joint Chiefs Gen. Mark Milley responded to a similar request from Slotkin, then a congresswoman, emphasizing the principle of an apolitical U.S. military. Milley wrote, “In the event of a dispute over some aspect of the elections, by law U.S. courts and the U.S. Congress are required to resolve any disputes, not the U.S. military.”
White House position
White House chief of staff Susie Wiles previously denied in a Vanity Fair interview that Trump would use the military to suppress voting in the midterms, calling such claims “categorically false” and “wrong‑headed.”
Implications for the upcoming election
Slotkin’s request underscores ongoing concerns among some members of Congress that the military could be politicized in a highly contested election cycle. While the Department of Defense has not indicated any plan to deploy troops to polling places, the request seeks a formal, written assurance to quell speculation.
The issue also highlights the broader debate over the role of federal institutions in elections and the importance of maintaining a clear separation between military authority and the democratic process.
Next steps
The Pentagon’s forthcoming response will be closely watched by lawmakers, election officials, and the public. A definitive statement from the Defense Department could help reassure voters that the military will remain apolitical and that election integrity will be protected through civilian, constitutional channels.
Original reporting: Texarkana Gazette — read the source article.