Las Vegas judges called the courtroom back into session Tuesday as the long‑awaited murder trial of Duane “Keffe” Davis continued. Davis, a former Los Angeles gang leader and the only person ever charged in the 1996 killing of rap icon Tupac Shakur, faces a charge of murder with a deadly weapon and a gang‑enhancement allegation.
Prosecutors focus on Davis’ own words
Chief Deputy District Attorney Binu Palal told jurors that while Davis did not pull the trigger, he planned the shooting in retaliation for an assault on his nephew, Orlando “Baby Lane” Anderson, outside a boxing match at the MGM Grand on September 7, 1996. Palal played a video of Shakur’s entourage beating Anderson and said Davis spent the next two hours plotting revenge.
Palal also showed jurors excerpts from Davis’ 2019 memoir, Compton Street Legend, and several past interviews in which Davis claimed he was the only person who could explain what happened that night. The prosecution says these statements demonstrate a long‑standing hatred toward Shakur that motivated the crime.
Key testimony and evidence
Michael Ingram, custodian of records at the MGM Grand, testified that security‑camera footage from the night of the fight captured Shakur and Suge Knight leaving the casino toward the valet area. The footage later showed their BMW being stopped by Las Vegas police because it lacked a license plate. Officers released the pair with a warning, only to return minutes later after a shooting call, finding Shakur being pulled from the vehicle by EMTs.
Former Las Vegas homicide detective Brent Becker described Suge Knight’s police interview as “timid” and “practiced,” noting that Knight claimed he knew nothing about the shooting. Becker also explained the difficulty investigators faced in locating living witnesses who could identify the occupants of the white Cadillac from which the fatal shots were fired.
Witness Ingrid Stokes recounted that she and friends heard gunfire while stopped at an intersection near the scene. After the shooting, police treated her group as suspects, seating them on the sidewalk. Stokes expressed fear of retaliation, recalling the street saying, “Snitches get stitches.”
Defense response
Davis’ attorney Michael Sanft dismissed the prosecution’s narrative as “fiction,” arguing that Davis’ past statements do not constitute a factual confession. Sanft reiterated that law enforcement previously regarded Davis as “full of crap,” suggesting the case relies on speculation rather than concrete proof.
The defense also fought to keep Davis’ memoir and interview excerpts out of the trial, arguing they are prejudicial. The prosecution, however, maintains the materials illustrate Davis’ motive and knowledge of the event.
Trial outlook
The jury, composed of ten women and six men, will continue hearing testimony over the coming weeks. Prosecutors indicated they plan to call between 35 and 45 witnesses, including forensic pathologists who will present autopsy photos detailing Shakur’s wounds.
If convicted, Davis faces life imprisonment. The trial remains a focal point for fans of hip‑hop culture, members of Shakur’s family, and those interested in the broader issues of gang‑related violence and criminal‑justice accountability.
Original reporting: Dallas TX News (HLL/CB) — read the source article.