Jerusalem – On Monday, former White House senior adviser Jared Kushner held an extended meeting with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. The talks came just days after the premier rejected a 15‑point U.S.–backed roadmap intended to move a cease‑fire and reconstruction plan forward in Gaza.
Kushner had previously spent two hours in Cairo meeting Hamas leader Khalil al‑Hayya. Both sides discussed disarmament and the conditions Hamas says must be met before any Israeli withdrawal, including a halt to Israeli attacks and a return to the so‑called “yellow line” that once divided the territory.
The Jerusalem meeting also included former British Prime Minister Tony Blair and Board of Peace director Nickolay Mladenov, according to diplomatic sources who spoke on condition of anonymity. No official comment was offered by the Israeli government at the time of publication.
Roadmap details and competing demands
The U.S.–created Board of Peace’s roadmap calls for a phased Israeli pull‑back from Gaza, the disarmament of Hamas, and the establishment of a Palestinian technocratic committee to oversee daily operations. Hamas says it is willing to accept the plan if Israel first ceases its attacks and withdraws to the undefined “yellow line.” Israel, however, maintains that Hamas must fully disarm before any Israeli forces leave the enclave.
Currently, Israeli troops control roughly 60 percent of the Gaza Strip. Netanyahu has previously indicated a desire to increase that control to about 70 percent, describing the effort as “tightening the grip” on Hamas from all directions.
Regional pressure and diplomatic context
Several regional powers, including Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates, issued a joint statement condemning Israel’s rejection of the roadmap, saying Israel now bears responsibility for obstructing peace efforts. Jordan, Pakistan, Indonesia and the cease‑fire mediators also signed the statement, urging the Board of Peace and the United States to take “immediate and concrete measures” to prevent any party from blocking implementation.
The White House referred questions about Kushner’s meetings to the Board of Peace, which declined to comment. The Tony Blair Institute also did not respond.
Local impact and upcoming political considerations
While some residents of Gaza hope the roadmap could end the conflict that began with the Oct. 7, 2023 Hamas attack on southern Israel, many remain skeptical. Mohammad Abu al‑Qombuz, a resident of a tent camp in Gaza City, described the ongoing talks as “all lies” and called for a definitive solution that works for everyone.
Under the current plan, Hamas would hand over its weapons to the Palestinian technocratic committee, which has yet to enter Gaza. The roadmap also envisions a “credible pathway” toward Palestinian self‑determination and statehood—an outcome Israel’s current government has rejected.
Until the roadmap is fully agreed upon, key elements of the cease‑fire remain on hold, including reconstruction efforts and the deployment of international forces to separate Israeli troops from committee‑controlled areas.
Political backdrop in Israel
Netanyahu faces a national election on Oct. 27 and is working to maintain a coalition that includes ministers taking a hard line on Gaza. It remains unclear whether decisive steps toward a cease‑fire will be taken before voters head to the polls. The upcoming anniversary of the Oct. 7 attack also adds emotional weight to the ongoing diplomatic efforts.
Original reporting: KTSA News/Talk (San Antonio) — read the source article.