Joey “Jaws” Chestnut will head to Coney Island this July 4 to defend his Nathan’s Famous International Hot Dog Eating Contest crown while on probation after pleading guilty to a misdemeanor battery charge in Hamilton County, Indiana. His attorney Mario Massillamany has framed the episode as a misunderstanding, and Major League Eating says the incident does not bar him from competition. Chestnut’s recent wins, including a Tennessee sausage-eating world record, and his dramatic history with Nathan’s make this one of the more colorful comeback stories on the contest stage. The legal wrinkle and travel permission from a judge add an unusual backdrop to what fans expect will be another rowdy, high-stakes showdown.
Chestnut entered a guilty plea on April 20 and was sentenced to 180 days of probation after an allegation he slapped a man during a night out at a bar in Hamilton County. The plea resolves the local misdemeanor battery charge but leaves the champion under court supervision for several months. A judge granted him permission to travel out of state, which cleared the way for Chestnut to return to Coney Island and compete for the Mustard Belt this summer. For fans and officials, the travel approval was the practical detail that let the competition plans move forward.
Mario Massillamany addressed the incident in blunt terms and insisted it was not what it appeared to be. “It truly was just a misunderstanding,” Massillamany told The Associated Press. He said Chestnut accepted responsibility and wanted to put the matter behind him, a posture that likely helped secure the relatively light sentence of probation. The attorney also pushed back on reporting that Chestnut told police he did not remember the altercation, calling that reporting out of context.
When police questioned Chestnut, he said he was drunk and did not remember the altercation, according to Us Weekly. Massillamany said that was “taken out of context” and Chestnut was nervous when speaking to officers before he had an attorney. That sequence—an initial on-scene statement followed by legal counsel and a plea—played out in local courts and was the basis for the negotiated resolution. The public record now shows a guilty plea rather than an ongoing trial, which changes how promoters and regulators view his eligibility.
Major League Eating weighed in on whether the incident would affect Chestnut’s ability to compete and provided a categorical response. “This incident did not violate Major League Eating’s code of conduct, as it occurred outside any organizational event or activity and it was addressed by local authorities,” Shea said. Richard Shea, co-founder and president of Major League Eating, emphasized that the group’s rules focus on conduct tied to league events, so a private altercation resolved by law enforcement did not trigger additional sanctions. That decision cleared another administrative hurdle for Chestnut and the contest promoters.
Chestnut has been both a dominant figure and a lightning rod in competitive eating, and his recent record keeps the spotlight trained on him. At Nathan’s Famous last year he reclaimed the title by eating 70 1/2 hot dogs and buns in 10 minutes after missing the 2024 contest because of a sponsorship conflict. Nathan’s had temporarily banned him from competing after he signed an endorsement deal with the plant-based meat company Impossible Foods, a dispute that made headlines and underscored how commercial ties can complicate sports affiliations. The saga added drama to his comeback and gave fans more reasons to tune in.
Beyond hot dogs, Chestnut continues to chase and set records in other food competitions, which helps explain why promoters and sponsors keep backing him. He most recently won the 2026 Ultimate Bologna Showdown in Tennessee for the third straight year, consuming 16 pounds of sausage in 8 minutes to set a new world record. Those feats reinforce the brand value he brings to marquee events and why Major League Eating saw fit to allow his participation despite the legal issue. Organizers are counting on Chestnut’s presence to drive interest and ratings this summer.
The July 4 contest at Coney Island will therefore be watched through a few different lenses: as a pure athletic spectacle, as a commercial event with real money and endorsements on the line, and as the next chapter in Chestnut’s very public career. Fans will come for the raw pageantry of the Mustard Belt, and critics will watch how the sport navigates reputational bumps when star athletes face legal troubles. Either way, Chestnut’s return to Coney Island promises to be must-see summer television for anyone who follows competitive eating.