Collin County District Court Judge Michael Chitty announced that he now has the record needed to decide whether Karmelo Anthony will receive a new trial for the 2025 murder of 17‑year‑old Austin Metcalf at a high‑school track meet in Frisco. The judge has until Monday to issue his ruling, though he may decide as soon as Saturday.
Background of the case
Anthony, a Centennial High School student, was convicted in June 2025 of stabbing Metcalf, a Memorial High School junior, to death during a confrontation at Kuykendall Stadium. The incident, captured by witnesses, sparked national attention because of its racial overtones – Anthony is Black and Metcalf was white – and because of the graphic nature of the crime.
During the original trial, the presiding judge limited public access to the courtroom and enforced an informal “gentleman’s agreement” that barred certain character evidence from being presented to the jury. Anthony’s new defense team argues that those restrictions violated his constitutional right to a fair trial.
Hearing details
On Thursday and Friday, the court heard testimony from both sides. Former defense attorney Toby Shook and prosecutor Bill Wirskye each took the stand to discuss the original proceedings. Defense counsel Mike Howard, who represented Anthony at the first trial, testified that the agreement between prosecution and defense kept damaging evidence – including a documented pattern of Anthony’s interest in firearms, knives, and fighting, as well as alleged stalking of his girlfriend – from reaching jurors.
Howard also explained that the agreement covered evidence about Metcalf and his twin brother Hunter, such as allegations of bullying and racism. He said the agreement broke down when Anthony was prepared to testify; prosecutors argued the pact did not apply if the defendant took the stand, leading to a heated exchange in the judge’s chambers. Anthony ultimately declined to testify, stating he would not receive a “fair shake.”
Judicial actions
Judge Chitty said he will review all transcripts, exhibits, and the written agreement before making his determination. He previously recused Judge John Roach from post‑trial proceedings after a San Antonio judge ruled Roach should step aside due to his prior comments limiting public access and describing Anthony as “a nice young man who committed a crime.”
Anthony’s new defense team, led by attorney Russell Wilson, sought Roach’s removal and emphasized parental‑rights and constitutional concerns about courtroom transparency.
Family response
Jeff Metcalf, father of the victim, told NBC 5 that he is watching the proceedings closely. “Let’s see what happens tomorrow,” he said, adding that a new trial could result in additional years of imprisonment for Anthony.
Incident recap
On April 2, 2025, Frisco Police responded to a stabbing at the 11‑5A district track meet. Witnesses reported that Metcalf asked Anthony to move from under a pop‑up tent during a rainstorm. When Anthony refused, he allegedly produced a black knife and stabbed Metcalf in the chest before fleeing. Despite emergency medical efforts, Metcalf died in his twin brother’s arms.
Metcalf was a 4.0‑GPA student, football team MVP, and had plans to attend college. The district suspended the meet and sent all participants home after the incident.
Next steps
The hearing will resume Friday at 9 a.m., and the court will consider whether the original trial’s procedural limitations warrant a new trial. The community awaits the judge’s decision, which will have implications for how future criminal cases are handled in Collin County.
Original reporting: Dallas TX News (HLL/CB) — read the source article.