On Thursday, Australia’s foreign ministry took the unusual step of summoning Israel’s ambassador to Canberra, expressing strong outrage over a decision by the Israeli military not to open criminal proceedings after an airstrike in Gaza killed Australian aid worker Zomi Frankcom.
Australian government’s response
Foreign Minister Penny Wong told reporters the move reflects Australia’s expectation of higher accountability from democracies. “This decision falls far short of the accountability we expect,” Wong said, adding that Canberra will continue pressing Israel for justice for Frankcom and her colleagues.
Wong also instructed Australia’s envoy in Israel to convey the country’s position directly to the Israeli government, while the Australian government considers its next diplomatic steps.
Israeli military’s findings
Israel’s ambassador to Australia, Hillel Newman, said a court‑ordered fact‑finding and assessment procedure concluded there was no criminal liability for the soldiers involved. He described the incident as a “mistake” and emphasized that the investigation found no criminal intent to target aid workers.
According to Newman, the convoy of seven World Central Kitchen aid workers, including Frankcom, deviated from a pre‑approved route and may have been carrying armed personnel, leading Israeli forces to believe it had been seized by Hamas.
International reaction
The strike, which occurred in 2024, drew condemnation from the United States and several allied nations after it also claimed the lives of citizens from Britain, Poland, and a dual U.S.–Canadian national, alongside Palestinian civilians.
More than 73,000 Palestinians have been reported killed since the Gaza conflict began in 2023, with casualties including aid workers, doctors, journalists and others. Israel maintains that its operations target Hamas and Hezbollah militants, and it says it opens investigations when civilian deaths occur.
Implications for Australia‑Israel relations
Australia and Israel have long maintained close diplomatic and trade ties, but the summons underscores growing tension over civilian protection standards in conflict zones. Wong’s remarks signal that Australia expects partner nations to uphold the rule of law and protect humanitarian personnel, a stance rooted in both international law and the country’s own commitment to democratic values.
The Australian government has not indicated whether further diplomatic measures, such as sanctions or formal complaints to international bodies, will follow. For now, the focus remains on securing a transparent review of the incident and ensuring that future aid missions are safeguarded.
Original reporting: Appleton, WI News Feed (HLL/CB) — read the source article.