HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, Fla. – Deputies with the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office arrested 12th‑grader Alexander Parris on Thursday after a swift investigation linked him to a bomb threat made to Spoto High School on Wednesday, August 19.
Threat details and immediate response
At approximately 10:30 a.m., a caller reached the school’s front desk and asked the receptionist, “Is this Spoto?” The caller then claimed an explosive device had been placed on the first floor of the 200 building and warned that everyone would die before abruptly hanging up. School Resource Deputies responded within minutes, securing the campus and conducting a thorough search with additional law‑enforcement units. No explosives, devices, or other hazards were found.
Investigation leads to suspect
Detectives traced the incoming phone number to a parent of Alexander Parris. On Thursday, August 20, investigators met with Parris and his mother at the school. The sheriff’s office confirmed that the phone belonged to the family and that Parris was the individual who placed the call. A review of the phone’s outgoing call logs verified a call to Spoto High’s main line at the time of the threat.
Charges filed
Parris was taken into custody and charged with three offenses: making a false report of a bomb, explosive, or weapon of mass destruction; unlawful use of a two‑way communication device; and disrupting a school campus or function. He remains in the county jail pending a court appearance.
Official reaction
“A bomb threat is not a joke, a prank or something we will ever take lightly,” Sheriff Chad Chronister said in a statement. “One call can create fear and disrupt an entire school. If you make a threat against one of our schools, we will find you, arrest you and hold you accountable.”
Ongoing investigation
Law‑enforcement officials said the investigation remains active as they continue to assess any additional motives or accomplices. The sheriff’s office emphasized that the safety of students and staff is the top priority and that any false threat will be pursued aggressively.
Spoto High School administrators have reassured parents and students that the campus is safe and that security protocols will remain in place. The incident underscores the importance of vigilance and the serious legal consequences of misusing emergency communication channels.
Original reporting: Tampa Free Press — read the source article.