The Your
Aug 20, 2026
HyperLocal Loop
The Your

Close to home. Always in the loop.

Franklin County prison plan left out of Arkansas corrections expansion

State officials have confirmed that the 3,000‑bed prison proposed for the Vesta community outside Charleston is absent from the Arkansas Department of Corrections’ newest expansion opportunity plan. Governor Sarah Huckabee Sanders announced the project in the fall of 2024, but funding obstacles have kept it from moving forward.

Funding and legislative action

During the most recent fiscal session, legislators reallocated roughly $75 million that had been set aside for the Franklin County facility. The appropriations language explicitly barred those dollars from being used on the prison, effectively placing the project on hold. A spokesperson for the Department of Corrections said the plan now focuses on expanding existing prisons, repurposing vacant state‑owned buildings, and constructing a new facility on donated land in Hope, Arkansas.

Governor’s office response

A spokesperson for Governor Sanders clarified that ideas generated by staff do not constitute state policy and that no formal approval has been issued by the governor or the General Assembly. The governor’s office emphasized that the project remains a proposal, not an enacted plan.

State Senate perspective

State Senator Brad Simon, who represents much of Franklin County and serves on the Senate Judiciary Committee, cautioned against declaring the project cancelled. “It is far too soon to say it’s been canceled altogether,” Simon said. “There is no indication from anybody in an official capacity that the project is dead.” He noted that the language preventing the use of the $750 million was the primary reason the prison has been stalled.

Simon added that the Senate Judiciary Committee will likely address prison expansion and local jail overcrowding at its upcoming meeting in Franklin County. He indicated that the committee will continue to explore “better solutions,” including the possibility of locating a new facility that can be staffed and equipped with necessary infrastructure.

Implications for the community

The removal of the Franklin County site from the expansion plan has raised concerns among local leaders about job creation and economic impact. The original proposal promised construction jobs and long‑term correctional staff positions in a rural part of the state. With the project on hold, those potential benefits remain uncertain.

Nevertheless, state officials stress that the broader corrections expansion strategy aims to address overcrowding across Arkansas’s prison system without committing to a single new site. The focus on repurposing existing structures and the Hope‑area donation reflects a shift toward more flexible, cost‑controlled solutions.

Next steps

Senator Simon said the Senate Judiciary Committee will continue to evaluate options and expects to discuss the issue at its next session in Franklin County. Meanwhile, the Department of Corrections will proceed with its current expansion priorities, which include upgrades to existing facilities and the development of the new Hope prison.

Stakeholders and residents will be watching the upcoming committee meeting for any signals about future corrections projects in the region.


Original reporting: 40/29 / KHBS (NW Arkansas) — read the source article.

OBBM Network Editorial Staff

[email protected]

Editorial team behind OBBM Network — independent, hyper-local journalism syndicated through HyperLocalLoop and OBBM Network TV.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent News

Trending

Community News

Quick Start Deal

Get Loop-Ready in One Move

A low-commitment monthly bundle that keeps your business in front of local audiences across HyperLocal Loop and the OBBM Network.

$350 Per Month
What's Included
  • DataPulse · 1,000 Matches Identify and retarget anonymous visitors to your site
  • Banner Ads Geo-targeted display placement across HyperLocal Loop
  • Video Ad Airs on your Local OBBM Channel
  • Business Advertorial A featured sponsored article telling your story
Questions about any of this? Ask Ben →
Get Started
Secure checkout · Cancel anytime
§ 04 · Choose Your Package

Three levels. Up to 60% off.

Every Patriot Package is priced at over 40% off standard AdRevv list rates — and the discount deepens as you scale, up to 60% off at the Enterprise tier.

Tier I · Local
The Patriot
For local & regional brands launching with the network.
List Price: $835/mo
$500/mo
★ Save $335 — 40% Off
Monthly Allotment
  • Audio: 10,000Podcast impressions
  • Video: 10,000Streaming TV impressions
  • Banners: 50,000HyperLocal Loop geo-targeted banner impressions
  • DataPulse: First 1,000visitor matches included
  • City or regional geo-targeting via AdServe
  • Real-time campaign reporting
Start The Patriot
Tier III · National
The Enterprise
For national brands ready to dominate the network.
List Price: $5,065/mo
$2026/mo
★ Save $3,039 — 60% Off
Monthly Allotment
  • Audio: 14,000Podcast impressions
  • Video: 10,000Streaming TV impressions
  • Banners: 100,000HyperLocal Loop geo-targeted impressions
  • DataPulse: 5,000visitor matches included
  • LeadEngine: 20,000actionable buyer-intent contacts
  • Host Endorsements: 9podcast host-read spots
  • National geo-targeting + dedicated campaign manager
  • Priority creative production support
★ Bonus Included
Free 1-Year Freedom Chamber Membership
Faith, Family & Freedom business community at freedomchamber.net.
Start Enterprise

Need a custom configuration? Build your own package →