A three‑judge panel of the U.S. 10th Circuit Court of Appeals in Denver issued a 2‑1 decision on Friday that temporarily halts a district‑court order granting thousands of former college athletes an additional year of eligibility. The order had been sought by players who graduated high school in 2022, whose NCAA eligibility ended after the 2025 season, and who were not covered by the NCAA’s new five‑year eligibility rule that takes effect in the 2026‑27 academic year.
Legal background
The plaintiffs argued that it was unfair to deny them a fifth year of competition, along with the educational and name‑image‑likeness (NIL) compensation opportunities that accompany it, while younger teammates were allowed to use the new rule. The NCAA countered that fairness is “in the eye of the beholder” and that many schools had already built their rosters based on the existing eligibility framework.
Impact on upcoming seasons
If the ruling had stood, thousands of athletes could have returned to their former programs just as football season begins in late August. The appellate court’s stay means the situation remains uncertain while the appeal proceeds. Coaches and administrators worry about roster stability, as many teams have already locked in scholarship limits and depth charts.
Among the athletes mentioned were defensive linemen Kellan Wyatt and Stephan Daley, members of Indiana’s national‑champion squad last season. Their potential return illustrates the broader dilemma facing programs across the country.
Related lawsuits
The NCAA is already facing a series of lawsuits in state and federal courts over the same eligibility issue. Recent state‑court rulings in Louisiana granted former Ole Miss players Dae’Quan Wright, Zxavian Harris, and Wydett Williams another season of eligibility, even though they signed NFL contracts this summer. In basketball, Gonzaga recently added Dayton’s Javon Bennett and Florida State’s Chauncey Wiggins, each of whom secured eligibility through separate court orders.
Gonzaga head coach Mark Few said, “Some of us coaches told the NCAA over and over again, if they waited longer to announce this, they probably wouldn’t have this issue… these are good guys.”
What’s next?
The appellate court’s stay does not resolve the underlying legal questions. The case will continue to be heard, and its outcome could influence how other courts address similar eligibility challenges nationwide. For now, schools, athletes, and fans must await further clarification before the 2026‑27 season gets underway.
Original reporting: Alexandria, VA News – WTOP News — read the source article.