The United Arab Emirates announced on Tuesday that it is suspending all financial and economic transactions with Iran until further notice. The decision follows a reported missile launch from Iran that triggered telephone alerts for residents in Dubai and other emirates.
Missile launch prompts safety alerts
The UAE defence ministry said its radar detected two ballistic missiles launched from Iranian territory. The ministry assessed that the missiles were aimed at “maritime traffic” in the Gulf. Both projectiles fell into the sea, and the ministry later issued a second alert confirming that the situation was safe and that residents could resume normal activities.
UAE cites regional security concerns
Afra Al Hameli, director of the Strategic Communications Department at the UAE Ministry of Foreign Affairs, said the suspension of trade, commercial exchanges, and financial transactions with Iran is a response to regional escalations that threaten peace and security. “We remain committed to dialogue and cooperation to advance stability and prosperity in the region,” Al Hameli added.
Diplomatic advisor Anwar Gargash posted on X that rumors of the UAE providing financial facilities to Iran are “false and part of desperate media campaigns.” The statement underscores the UAE’s intent to distance itself from any perceived support for Tehran’s military actions.
Background on UAE‑Iran tensions
The United Arab Emirates, a close U.S. ally and major Gulf oil producer, has been the most heavily impacted Gulf state by Iranian attacks since the regional conflict began in February. The last direct attack on UAE soil was a missile strike on Fujairah port on May 4, a key hub for oil exports.
Since then, Iranian missiles and drones have continued to target vessels transiting the Strait of Hormuz, a vital shipping lane for global oil supplies. Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC) reported that several of its vessels have been struck while navigating the strait, describing the environment as “exceptionally challenging.”
Iran’s response
Iran’s foreign ministry rejected the UAE’s claim that the missiles were aimed at maritime traffic, calling the allegation “baseless.” Tehran has not claimed responsibility for the attacks on ADNOC vessels, though its Revolutionary Guards have previously warned of action against ships linked to the UAE’s adversaries.
Implications for regional trade
The embargo adds to a series of economic measures taken by Gulf states in response to the widening conflict. By cutting off financial flows, the UAE aims to pressure Iran while safeguarding its own economic interests, particularly the flow of oil through its ports.
Analysts note that the move could further disrupt shipping through the Strait of Hormuz, already strained since February, and may influence global oil markets. The 60‑day window for U.S.–Iran peace talks expired without a breakthrough, raising concerns about a new escalation.
Looking ahead
UAE officials emphasized that the suspension of ties is a temporary measure pending a clearer security environment. They reiterated a willingness to resume dialogue with Iran once regional stability improves.
For residents and businesses in the UAE, the immediate impact is the cessation of new financial contracts with Iranian entities and heightened vigilance over maritime safety. The broader international community will be watching how the embargo shapes the ongoing Gulf rivalry and its effects on global energy supplies.
Original reporting: Appleton, WI News Feed (HLL/CB) — read the source article.