National Association of Black Journalists (NABJ) presented its annual “Thumbs Down” award to ESPN analyst Stephen A. Smith, citing a pattern of disparaging commentary toward Black women. In response, Smith chose the conservative platform of Fox News, sitting opposite host Sean Hannity, to contest the claim.
Smith’s Defense on Hannity
During the interview, Smith called the NABJ’s accusation “a flat‑out lie.” He emphasized his personal background, noting he was raised by five Black women—his mother and four older sisters—and that he has two daughters and ten nieces. “I don’t know what the hell they’re talking about,” he said.
Smith argued that his public disagreements with political figures such as Rep. Jasmine Crockett, former Vice President Kamala Harris, former First Lady Michelle Obama, and former MSNBC host Joy‑Ann Reid constitute legitimate differences of opinion, not insults. He asked NABJ to clarify how criticism of a public figure’s statements becomes “disparaging” or “degrading” toward Black women.
NABJ’s Position
The organization’s citation described Smith’s remarks as reinforcing harmful narratives that undermine fair representation of Black women. NABJ President Errin Haines stated the award was meant to hold public figures accountable, even when they have previously been embraced by the association. “We are here to defend the truth, even when it makes our friends uncomfortable,” Haines said.
Haines added that the door remains open for dialogue and change, but the organization will not remain silent on the issue.
Public Reaction
Social‑media users expressed mixed reactions to Smith’s choice of venue. Some criticized the decision to go to Fox News, suggesting it amplified the controversy. Others used profanity to denounce Smith’s appearance, while a few defended his right to speak on a platform of his choosing.
Comedian and commentator D.L. Hughley entered the debate, noting that Smith’s anger was directed at NABJ but not at former President Donald Trump, who had previously insulted Smith’s intelligence. Hughley suggested the contrast might explain NABJ’s decision, arguing that Smith is quick to attack Black athletes but silent when powerful figures disparage him.
Broader Context
The dispute highlights ongoing tensions within the Black media community over how public figures should be held accountable for remarks about gender and race. Smith’s upcoming induction into the Broadcasting+Cable Hall of Fame on September 29 was also mentioned, with the commentator questioning why his professional achievements seemed to carry little weight with NABJ.
Both sides indicated a willingness to continue the conversation, with NABJ stating that accountability requires courage and that “there can be no revolution without accountability.” Smith maintained that his comments were rooted in personal belief and free‑speech principles.
Original reporting: The Washington Informer — read the source article.