San Bernardino police announced Friday that two local teenagers have been arrested in connection with a robbery and assault that occurred last week at an apartment‑complex hot‑tub. The victim, Greg Medina, said he was listening to music with headphones when he felt a sudden kick to the back of his head.
Details of the incident
Medina, a single father who works as a chef for Lutheran Social Services, described the attack as a “tough decision” for his family but ultimately the right one. After the kick, he experienced dizzy spells, headaches and was later diagnosed with post‑concussion disorder. Video captured at the scene shows one of the suspects snatching Medina’s phone before both youths fled the area.
Police response and charges
Detectives identified the two individuals in the video as 13‑year‑old boys. Their parents voluntarily turned them over to law enforcement, leading to their arrest on robbery charges. The teen who delivered the kick faces an additional felony battery charge.
Victim’s response and reconciliation
Medina met with the teenagers on Friday morning. He said the boys apologized, embraced him, and expressed remorse. “I don’t hate them. These are two young men that need help,” Medina told reporters. He added that he forgives them and hopes they receive the support they need to avoid future trouble.
Community perspective
The case has drawn attention to the role of parental responsibility and community forgiveness. Local leaders emphasized the importance of holding young people accountable while also offering guidance and resources to keep them on a positive path.
Next steps
The teenagers will appear in juvenile court, where the felony battery charge will be considered alongside the robbery. Authorities indicated that the case will be handled in accordance with California’s juvenile justice procedures, focusing on rehabilitation where appropriate.
Medina’s work with Lutheran Social Services, where he has been feeding the homeless for more than a year, underscores the personal stakes of the incident. He hopes his experience encourages other families to address wrongdoing early and seek restorative solutions.
Original reporting: NBC4 Los Angeles — read the source article.