On August 19, a coalition of almost 50 Oklahoma legislators sent a formal request to State Superintendent Lindell Fields and the Oklahoma State Department of Education (OSDE) to halt the termination of the Expanded Learning Time Option, a federal feeding program that supplies a third meal to students participating in extended‑day school activities.
Background of the program
The program, funded by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, was designed to ensure that children attending after‑school or extended‑learning sessions receive a nutritious meal, helping families manage the added cost of longer school days. OSDE announced the program’s discontinuation after the 2026‑27 school year had already begun, citing a recommendation from the USDA that the cut was “essential” for compliance with federal requirements.
Lawmakers’ concerns
In their letter, the lawmakers argued that the abrupt decision raises serious questions about OSDE’s legal authority, the timing of the change, and the impact on Oklahoma children. They emphasized that many school districts rely on the third‑meal provision to keep students fed during after‑school programs, and that removing it without a viable alternative could leave children hungry.
Superintendents across the state echoed these concerns, noting that the deadline of September 30 to create a qualifying after‑school program is unrealistic for schools already in session. They warned that the lack of a compromise could force districts to forfeit funding, further straining already tight budgets.
OSDE’s response
Fields acknowledged the criticism but maintained that the decision was made after extensive review. He said, “It’s no secret that we’ve had some concern about the feeding program for quite some time, so it’s time to get things in order.” When asked why corrective actions were not pursued, Fields added, “I think we’ve gone so far down the path that corrective action may be difficult, and this is unfortunate for those who are doing the right thing.” He also suggested that schools could pivot to an after‑school program to continue receiving funding for the third meal.
Potential path forward
The USDA indicated that the cut aligns with federal compliance, but OSDE stated that schools may still qualify for funding if they establish an after‑school program that meets the agency’s criteria. However, superintendents reported that district officials were told there is no compromise and that the September 30 deadline is firm.
Lawmakers are urging the department to suspend the decision while a workable solution is developed, stressing the importance of protecting children’s nutrition and respecting the legal authority of the education agency.
What’s at stake
For many Oklahoma families, especially those in low‑income communities, the third‑meal provision is a critical component of daily nutrition. The debate highlights the tension between state education policy, federal guidance, and the practical needs of schools and parents.
As the discussion continues, stakeholders from the legislature, education officials, and school leaders will watch closely to see whether a compromise can be reached that safeguards children’s health without violating federal requirements.
Original reporting: Oklahoma City News Feed (HLL/CB) — read the source article.