The Kennedy Center in Washington, D.C., submitted new court filings Tuesday indicating it intends to reinstall President Donald J. Trump’s name on the front of its historic performing‑arts building as early as September 8. The filings, made by the Center’s legal team, request that the court permit the addition of an inscription beneath the existing Kennedy sign that reads, “Restored and Renovated by President Donald J. Trump.”
The move follows a recent board vote to close the Center for a multi‑year renovation and to rename the physical site in honor of the former president. The Center’s board, composed largely of individuals appointed by President Trump during his administration, says the name change is part of a broader effort to recognize the former president’s contributions to the venue’s recent upgrades.
Federal District Judge Christopher Cooper previously ruled that the Center violated the law when it added Trump’s name alongside that of President John F. Kennedy, the venue’s original namesake. Representative Joyce Beatty, a Democrat who brought the original challenge, has asked the court to intervene again, arguing that the Center’s latest filing directly contravenes the earlier decision. Beatty’s attorneys told Judge Cooper that the Center should not be allowed to proceed with the name change until the court determines its legality.
In response, the Center’s filing states it will not place Trump’s name on the façade before September 8 at the earliest, citing ongoing structural repairs. The Center claims scaffolding and tarps remain in place to investigate and engineer repairs to the overhead soffit where the former lettering was removed. Beatty’s lawyers dispute that explanation, noting the soffit is more than twenty feet above the scaffolding and questioning why the tarps have remained for months, effectively obscuring the building’s official name.
Should an endowment of $100 million be secured, the board says a further addition referencing Trump could be installed later. The legal battle highlights a broader pattern of disputes over former President Trump’s efforts to leave a lasting imprint on historic sites and public buildings across the nation.
Legal Context and Next Steps
The case now returns to Judge Cooper, who must decide whether the Center’s proposed inscription complies with the earlier ruling. If the court blocks the change, the Center will be required to keep the building’s exterior free of any reference to President Trump until a final decision is rendered. The outcome will set a precedent for how federal cultural institutions handle naming rights that involve recent political figures.
Both sides have framed the issue as a matter of legal compliance rather than partisan politics, though the underlying debate touches on broader questions of how public monuments and cultural landmarks reflect contemporary leadership. The Center’s renovation plans, which include extensive structural upgrades, remain on schedule, but the naming controversy could delay the public unveiling of the restored façade.
Original reporting: KTVZ (Central Oregon) — read the source article.