On August 18, the Kay family announced that a settlement had been reached with the District of Columbia Attorney General’s Office, ending a protracted disagreement over compensation for the 2020 police‑involved death of Deon Kay in Congress Heights. The agreement, approved by Mayor Muriel Bowser, provides a six‑figure payment to the family, though the exact amount was not disclosed.
Background of the case
On September 2020, Metropolitan Police Department Officer Alexander Alvarez shot Deon Kay in the parking lot of an apartment building on the 200 block of Orange Street SE. Body‑camera footage shows Kay running from officers, being intercepted, and shot in the chest. Alvarez later searched for Kay’s firearm, which was later found 98 feet away.
Kay’s death sparked protests along Martin Luther King Jr. Avenue SE, with residents demanding accountability. A civil jury awarded the family $655,000 last year, but the Attorney General’s office appealed the judgment, citing procedural errors.
Negotiations and final agreement
Sources familiar with the negotiations say the settlement amount is lower than the jury award but higher than what the Attorney General could approve alone. Mayor Bowser’s office authorized the deal, indicating the city’s willingness to resolve the matter without further taxpayer expense.
Gabriel Shoglow‑Rubenstein, a spokesperson for the Office of the Attorney General, explained that the appeal was based on “significant errors” in the trial court’s decision. He added that while no monetary sum can replace a lost life, the settlement offers “significant monetary payment” and vacates the original judgment.
Yaida Ford, the Kay family’s attorney, noted that the mayor’s involvement was crucial. “Mayor Bowser wasn’t a friend or foe to the trial lawyers; she supports $500,000 caps on lawsuits against the city,” Ford said, emphasizing that the mayor’s fiscal judgment exceeded the Attorney General’s position.
Community and faith leaders respond
Following the announcement, a gathering of local clergy and activists convened at the site known as “Deon’s Lot.” Speakers included Rev. George C. Gilbert Jr. of Holy Trinity United Baptist Church, Bishop Andre Gray of Agape Men’s Fellowship, and Rev. Michael C. Bell of Peace Baptist Church. They linked the settlement to broader concerns about safety, policing, and the presence of federal and National Guard forces in the neighborhood.
Advisory Neighborhood Commissioner Dascha Cleckley, who represents the area, said the settlement offers a measure of closure but underscored ongoing safety worries. “It doesn’t make the community feel safe, but at least it acknowledges that there was a wrong,” she told The Informer.
Faith leaders called the settlement a step forward while urging continued vigilance. Rev. Bell warned that the judgment does not absolve the D.C. government of its responsibilities, and the group pledged ongoing advocacy for justice and community safety.
Implications for the district
The settlement highlights tensions between local residents, law‑enforcement agencies, and city officials. It also reflects the broader debate over how municipal governments address police misconduct and compensate victims’ families. While the monetary award provides immediate relief to the Kay family, community members stress that systemic change remains essential.
Mayor Bowser declined to comment on the specifics of the settlement or the use of taxpayer funds for the appeal, stating only, “I don’t talk to attorneys.” The resolution, however, may set a precedent for how future civil claims against the District are handled.
Looking ahead
Local activists continue to monitor police practices in Congress Heights, especially as federal and National Guard personnel increase their presence. The settlement, while a tangible outcome, is viewed by many as part of a longer journey toward accountability, safety, and healing for the community.
Original reporting: The Washington Informer — read the source article.