The Justice Department announced Monday that a new rule will allow people whose gun rights were revoked because of felony convictions to apply for restoration of those rights. The rule, issued by Attorney General Todd Blanche, creates an online portal for applicants and is presented as a way to balance public safety with constitutional protections.
How the new process works
Under the rule, eligible individuals can submit an application that will be evaluated on a case‑by‑case basis. Officials will consider the applicant’s criminal record, reputation, and any evidence that the person does not pose a danger to society. Those convicted of violent offenses, registered sex offenders, illegal immigrants, and others deemed a threat will be denied unless extraordinary circumstances are shown.
Background and legal context
Federal law has long permitted felons to petition for the restoration of gun rights, but since 1992 Congress effectively barred the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives from processing those petitions. The new rule seeks to bypass that limitation by establishing a direct application system.
Attorney General Blanche said the rule reflects the belief that “the Second Amendment is not a second‑class right” and that the government should not permanently strip a constitutional right without assessing an individual’s risk to public safety. He framed the change as a victory for Second Amendment advocates who have long argued for a pathway for non‑violent felons.
Broader policy moves
The announcement follows other recent actions by the administration to roll back or modify gun regulations. Earlier this year the Justice Department moved to ease restrictions on certain firearms and suppressors, and it recently declined to challenge a court decision that struck down specific firearm regulations.
Critics of the rule warn that expanding access to firearms, even for those with prior convictions, could increase public‑safety risks. Supporters argue that the case‑by‑case approach respects both constitutional rights and community safety.
What’s next
The online portal is expected to go live shortly, and applicants will be able to begin the submission process once it is operational. The Justice Department said it will monitor outcomes and adjust the program as needed to ensure it meets its dual goals of protecting public safety and restoring constitutional rights.
Original reporting: Brookhaven News – ABC7 New York — read the source article.