In a Nevada courtroom on Thursday, jurors were presented with a 2008 police interview that could reshape the long‑standing murder case of hip‑hop icon Tupac Shakur. Duane “Keffe D” Davis, the 63‑year‑old defendant accused of orchestrating the 1996 drive‑by shooting, told detectives that his nephew, Orlando “Baby Lane” Anderson, was the gunman who fired the fatal rounds.
Interview details presented to the jury
The transcript of the audio recording was displayed on a screen for the jurors. Davis recounted that he and Anderson were riding in a white Cadillac with two other men when they pulled up alongside a car carrying Shakur and Death Row Records founder Marion “Suge” Knight. Davis said he passed a gun to Deandre “Big Dre” Smith, who refused it, and that Anderson then took the weapon and opened fire.
Davis also claimed that after the shots were fired he believed Knight had been killed. The interview was the first time Davis directly discussed his involvement in the killing with law enforcement. Prosecutors plan to rely heavily on Davis’s own statements, as well as his 2019 memoir “Compton Street Legend,” to build their case.
Contradictory statements and prior denials
Earlier in the investigation, Davis told the FBI that his nephew was not involved and suggested that other figures, including Knight or Sean “Diddy” Combs, might have been responsible. He has consistently pleaded not guilty, and his attorney has dismissed the prosecution’s narrative as “fiction” and called Davis “full of crap” when he recounts his alleged role.
Detectives who conducted the 2008 interview, Greg Kading and Daryn Dupree, reminded Davis that the conversation was confidential and that nothing he said could be used against him. The prosecution argues that Davis’s later public statements about the shooting nullify any such agreement.
Background on the 1996 shooting
On September 7, 1996, Shakur was leaving the MGM Grand in Las Vegas after attending a Mike Tyson fight. Earlier that evening, an altercation involving Anderson had taken place at the casino. According to prosecutors, the shooting was a retaliatory act. Shakur was struck multiple times and died six days later at the University Medical Center of Southern Nevada.
The case has remained unsolved for three decades, with numerous theories and suspects emerging over the years. Davis was also briefly considered a suspect in the 1997 killing of Shakur’s rival, Christopher “The Notorious B.I.G.” Wallace, but was later cleared.
Impact on the community and cultural legacy
Tupac Shakur’s death continues to resonate in music and popular culture. He remains a symbol of artistic influence and social commentary, and his legacy has only grown since his passing.
The trial, now in its evidentiary phase, underscores the enduring public interest in the case and the challenges of resolving a crime that occurred more than 30 years ago.
Next steps in the trial
The jury will consider the interview transcript alongside other evidence presented by the prosecution and defense. Both sides are expected to call additional witnesses and present further forensic analysis before closing arguments later this month.
Original reporting: Texarkana Gazette — read the source article.