Indiana officials are preparing to request a Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) major disaster declaration after last week’s historic storm and flooding caused extensive damage across the state. While the federal government has already approved up to $5 million for local and state response efforts, that funding does not extend to direct assistance for individual Hoosiers.
State leaders outline next steps
Governor Mike Braun confirmed that state officials are working with FEMA this week to assess the full extent of the damage. Within the next two days, Indiana will use those assessments to submit a formal request for a major disaster declaration. Braun said the state expects to have more information within the next 7‑10 days.
A major disaster declaration would unlock long‑term federal programs that provide direct assistance to households, as well as public‑assistance funding for repairing roads, bridges, and other critical infrastructure. Individual assistance could cover temporary housing, food, home repairs, essential personal property, vehicle repairs, medical bills, moving costs and infant care.
Why residents should hold off on applications now
Officials caution Hoosiers not to apply for FEMA assistance at this stage. Submitting premature applications could create administrative delays once the declaration is approved, potentially slowing the delivery of aid to those who truly need it.
Instead, Braun urges residents to report damage by calling 211 or visiting the 211 website. This early reporting will help the state compile accurate damage data for the FEMA request.
State resources if FEMA declines
If FEMA determines Indiana does not qualify for a major disaster declaration, the governor said the state would turn to its $4 billion reserve fund to provide relief. “We’re not sure about the exact mechanics there, but the key thing is we’ve got resources,” Braun said. “Right now, funding and resources are not an issue.”
Local business owners brace for uncertainty
Alissa Gerber, a salon owner in Connersville who lost her home to flooding, said she is relying on donations and community support rather than counting on FEMA aid. Gerber added that she will apply for individual assistance if it becomes available, but she remains cautious about the likelihood of approval.
“It would be nice,” Gerber said. “We’re gonna at least apply for it. It doesn’t hurt to at least try.”
Background on previous FEMA assistance
Indiana received a major disaster declaration last year for tornado and flood damage that occurred from March 30 through April 9. At that time, FEMA’s funding was limited to the Public Assistance Program, which supports local governments and eligible nonprofit organizations. No direct individual assistance was provided.
Residents seeking help should continue to monitor state announcements and stay in touch with local emergency management offices for updates on the disaster declaration process.
How to stay informed
For the latest information on the FEMA declaration request and upcoming assistance programs, Hoosiers can follow the Indiana Department of Homeland Security’s social‑media channels, check the official state website, or contact the 211 hotline.
Original reporting: Mirror Indy — read the source article.