Dollywood’s newest attraction, the Nightflight Expedition, officially opened Friday in Pigeon Forge, Tennessee, despite Dolly Parton’s absence. The park’s founder recorded a video from Nashville to explain why she could not attend in person.
Health concerns keep Parton away
In the short clip, the singer‑songwriter, who is 80, wore butterfly wings on her back and said she sometimes feels “a little dizzy” and becomes dehydrated. She joked that her doctor “kind of clipped my wings” and advised her not to travel this week.
“I guess if the doctor tells you, ‘You ain’t travelin’ this week,’ you ain’t travelin’ this week,” Parton said, adding that she wanted to keep fans informed about her health.
Celebrating the ride’s debut
Parton expressed excitement for the ride, noting it had been delayed from its original May 15 opening and again in June. She emphasized that the attraction is the biggest and most expensive addition Dollywood has ever made, and that safety was a top priority.
“We’re gonna open it today,” she said, smiling, “that’s why I’m here in Nashville, because my little butterfly wings are getting kinda tired.”
Beyond the park
The video also mentioned Parton’s ongoing projects, including the Broadway musical “DOLLY: A True Original Musical,” the SongTeller Hotel, and the Life of Many Colors Museum, both located in Nashville.
Fans in the crowd were thanked, and Parton closed the message by saying she will see them “down the road.”
Past health‑related cancellations
This is not the first time the entertainer has postponed appearances for health reasons. Earlier this year she cancelled a Las Vegas residency after rescheduling shows due to “health challenges.”
Original reporting: 40/29 / KHBS (NW Arkansas) — read the source article.