Detroit – Coach Dan Campbell announced Thursday that second‑round pick Sam LaPorta will sit out practice after a hip injury flared up earlier in the week. The Lions are giving the tight end time to rest and recover, emphasizing that the ailment is not expected to become a long‑term problem.
Injury details and outlook
LaPorta, who is still recovering from season‑ending back surgery, was hit in the hip during a recent drill. Campbell described the situation as “a little aggravated” but expressed confidence that LaPorta will be fine for the remainder of the season. “We’re resting for a little bit here and letting it calm down,” Campbell said.
LaPorta’s recent production
The 24‑year‑old earned Pro Bowl honors as a rookie, catching 86 passes for 889 yards and 10 touchdowns. His numbers have slipped in the past two seasons, largely due to injuries. Last year he managed just 40 receptions for 489 yards and three touchdowns in nine games before undergoing back surgery. To date, LaPorta has compiled 186 catches for 2,104 yards and 20 touchdowns in his career.
Contract considerations
Following a 9‑8 finish last season, the Lions missed the playoffs. LaPorta indicated in January that he does not expect contract talks this offseason while he is still healing. “How are they going to extend me if I can’t play football right now? I’ve got to get healthy,” he said.
Upcoming schedule
The Lions will host the Washington Commanders in a preseason matchup on Saturday, giving fans a chance to see how the offense looks without LaPorta in practice this week.
Team context
Detroit has been active in securing long‑term deals for key players, most recently signing running back Jahmyr Gibbs to an extension. The organization hopes that LaPorta’s recovery will be swift so he can contribute to the team’s offensive plans moving forward.
Original reporting: Alexandria, VA News – WTOP News — read the source article.