The Brown family announced this week that it will no longer lend its name or support to the 12th Annual Chuck Brown Day celebration scheduled for Saturday in Southeast Washington, D.C. The decision, made to protect the legacy of the late “Godfather of Go‑Go,” stems from what the family describes as a pattern of poor communication, missed obligations and a shift in the festival’s leadership.
Family cites broken agreements and venue change
According to Chuck Brown’s son, Nekos Brown, the family formally notified the D.C. Department of Parks and Recreation (DPR) in February of its intent to withdraw. The family pointed to three years of what they call “poor communication, lack of professionalism and a failure to follow agreed‑upon obligations.” Brown emphasized that protecting the Chuck Brown brand is a daily responsibility for the family.
One of the key grievances, Brown said, began when the festival was moved from Chuck Brown Memorial Park to a new location. “A lot of things changed when the event was moved from Chuck Brown Memorial Park to where it is now, and that was a big part of it,” he explained, declining to provide further details.
DPR says venue change was due to growth
DPR Director Thennie Freeman countered that the relocation was necessary because the event outgrew its original site. Attendance has risen from about 1,000 people in the inaugural year to more than 10,000 last year, prompting organizers to seek a larger venue at Fort Dupont Park.
Freeman expressed disappointment at the family’s decision, noting that the District has historically enjoyed a positive relationship with the Browns. “Chuck Brown Day is Chuck Brown Day,” she said. “All of the Go‑Go bands talk about how Chuck poured into them, and so our goal is not to be disrespectful at all, but just to pay homage to the music and culture that is Go‑Go.”
Festival will proceed despite withdrawal
Even without the family’s endorsement, the festival is set to go forward as planned. Gates will open at 11 a.m. on Saturday, with performances beginning at 2 p.m. in Fort Dupont Park. Organizers have indicated that the event’s name will remain unchanged for the time being.
The withdrawal highlights the tension that can arise when community traditions intersect with organizational management. While the Brown family remains open to re‑engaging if new leadership and direction are established, the immediate focus remains on delivering a celebration of Go‑Go music that honors the cultural impact of Chuck Brown.
Original reporting: Arlington County | FOX 5 DC — read the source article.