U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Commissioner Rodney Scott announced on Monday that all construction activity in Big Bend National Park has been paused until he can conduct an on‑the‑ground evaluation. In a short video posted to X, Scott said he ordered the pause on Sunday night and would travel to the park to meet with local law‑enforcement, community leaders and other stakeholders.
Local reaction and stakeholder meetings
The decision follows weeks of vocal opposition from residents, businesses and law‑enforcement officials in the Big Bend region. Terrell County Sheriff Thaddeus Cleveland, a retired Border Patrol agent who has long argued that a border wall in the area is unnecessary, confirmed that he and sheriffs from Brewster, Hudspeth and Jeff Davis counties will meet with Scott in Alpine on Tuesday afternoon.
Local officials and park advocates have repeatedly emphasized that the park’s 1,000‑foot cliffs along the Rio Grande serve as a natural barrier – what some describe as “God’s walls” – and that any construction could damage the park’s unique ecology and the tourism economy that supports families throughout West Texas.
Federal plans and the pause
CBP’s current project in the park includes an access road and vehicle barriers intended to improve detection of illegal crossings and to allow agents to respond more quickly to visitors in danger. The agency has said it does not plan to erect a 30‑foot wall or install stadium‑type lighting in the park. In a statement, Scott said the pause will allow his team to “evaluate the terrain and listen to local leadership, community members and stakeholders to ensure that we secure our borders while simultaneously protecting BBNP for generations to come.”
The construction effort began earlier this month when bulldozers arrived to conduct survey and design work. CBP estimates the Big Bend sector accounts for just 1.3% of total apprehensions along the southern border in fiscal year 2025, underscoring the limited operational impact of the area.
Political context
The pause arrives amid bipartisan frustration. Texas Democrats have criticized the project as unnecessary and harmful to state sovereignty, while both candidates for Texas’ 23rd Congressional District have opposed the effort. On the Republican side, Sen. John Cornyn (R‑Texas) recently wrote to Homeland Security Secretary Markwayne Mullin requesting a halt until stakeholders could be consulted – a request that appears to have been acted upon.
U.S. Rep. Chip Roy (R‑Austin) also praised the announcement, noting that the nation can secure the border while preserving the park’s God‑given scenery. He called a 30‑foot bollard fence unnecessary and thanked Scott for listening to local concerns.
What comes next?
It remains unclear how long the construction pause will last. Scott indicated that more information will be provided later in the week after his on‑site meetings. The outcome of those discussions could shape whether CBP proceeds with the access road and barriers, modifies the design, or abandons the project altogether.
For residents and businesses that rely on tourism in Big Bend, the pause offers a brief respite and an opportunity for their voices to be heard directly by the federal agency tasked with securing the nation’s borders.
Original reporting: Texas Tribune (HLL/CB) — read the source article.