Carmel, Indiana – Following severe flooding that raised the risk of a major wastewater pipe burst, city officials turned to the Indiana National Guard for emergency assistance. On Wednesday, Guard Black Hawk helicopters dropped more than 70 sandbags, each weighing about 2,000 pounds, into the creek bed to create a secondary dam that will help protect the main sanitary line from failure.
Engineering Director Bradley Pease explained that earlier in the week there was a 90 percent chance the pipe could breach, potentially releasing raw sewage into the White River. “We’ve totally flipped that,” Pease said at a press conference, noting the new dam reduces the breach probability to essentially zero.
First dam and ongoing flood response
Earlier this week the city erected a primary dam using sycamore trees and concrete near the Martin Marietta quarry. The rapid construction of both barriers reflects the urgency of safeguarding water infrastructure after historic rains swept through Hamilton County.
Hazel Dell Parkway bridge replacement
Hamilton County Commissioner Christine Altman confirmed that the Hazel Dell Parkway bridge, a critical crossing for local traffic, suffered extensive damage and will require a full replacement. She said the county has retained United Consulting to redesign the bridge and is coordinating with the Indiana Department of Environmental Management, the Army Corps of Engineers, and the Indiana Department of Natural Resources.
Altman also noted that the governor’s recent executive order is expediting permitting for flood‑affected projects, benefiting both the bridge work and other reconstruction efforts in the area.
Debris removal and funding
County officials have devised a plan to clear debris that has accumulated in the waterway. Once cleared, the project will be put out to bid, and contracts for the bridge reconstruction will be awarded. Altman said a temporary bridge solution was explored but deemed cost‑prohibitive and likely to cause further delays.
She is close to finalizing a contract to manage debris disposal and plans to request reimbursement from the Federal Emergency Management Agency for flood‑related damages.
Power outages and community impact
Mayor Sue Finkam reported that 41 of the 215 homes still without power are awaiting restoration. The city continues to work with utility providers to restore service as quickly as possible.
These coordinated efforts—military assistance, engineering response, and county‑level planning—illustrate Carmel’s commitment to protecting its residents, infrastructure, and the surrounding environment in the wake of unprecedented flooding.
Original reporting: 93.1 WIBC (Indianapolis) — read the source article.