In a development that will affect consumers and businesses across the United States, Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney announced Friday night that Canada is suspending trade negotiations with the United States. The decision comes with an immediate plan to impose 50% tariffs on about $20 billion worth of U.S. imports from Canada, including hockey sticks, certain building materials, liquors and select clothing items.
Why the talks broke down
Carney said progress in the talks had not been sufficient to meet Canadian objectives. In an emailed statement he wrote, “that progress has not been enough to meet our objectives for Canadians.” He directed Canada’s negotiators to return to Ottawa and warned that Canada will match the U.S. duties dollar for dollar to protect Canadian workers and businesses.
U.S. Trade Representative Jamieson Greer had earlier indicated that the new duties were a response to prior Canadian retaliation against U.S. tariffs. Greer noted that only two countries – the People’s Republic of China and Canada – have taken such steps against the United States.
Negotiations timeline
Negotiators from both sides spent nearly two weeks in intensive talks. On Thursday, Canada’s minister for U.S. trade relations met with Greer for several hours, with Canadian official Dominic LeBlanc telling reporters they were “very close” and would continue working until a deal was reached. The following day, talks continued into the final hours, but no compromise was achieved.
Provincial leaders in Canada expressed mixed reactions. Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew urged the federal government to “fight” President Trump, while Quebec Premier Christine Fréchette said she was still analyzing Carney’s request that provinces lift bans on American alcohol sales. Ontario Premier Doug Ford made no public comment.
Legal and economic implications
The tariffs are being applied under Section 338 of the Tariff Act of 1930, a provision that allows the White House to levy duties up to 50% on any foreign partner that “discriminates” against U.S. commerce. This authority has never been used before. Legal experts expect the measures to be challenged in court.
The U.S. Chamber of Commerce warned that higher tariffs could raise costs for American families, disrupt supply chains and threaten the 13 million U.S. jobs that depend on the United States‑Mexico‑Canada Agreement (USMCA). Earlier this week, American negotiators agreed to lower existing tariffs on cars and metals from 25% to 15%.
Looking ahead
Both governments have indicated a willingness to continue dialogue, but the immediate imposition of steep duties signals a tough negotiating environment. Canadian officials had hoped to persuade the White House to drop Section 338 tariffs entirely and to secure a lower rate on industrial products such as steel and aluminum, which are currently subject to Section 232 of the Trade Act.
As the dispute moves toward the courts, businesses on both sides of the border will need to assess the impact on pricing, supply chains and employment. Consumers may see higher prices on everyday items that cross the border, while exporters will watch for any resolution that could restore more predictable trade conditions.
Original reporting: NBC Connecticut — read the source article.