THE YOUR

Close to home. Always in the loop.

H-E-B Parking Lot Shootout: Security Guards Return Fire, Suspect Hospitalized

San Antonio police say a violent exchange erupted Monday night in the parking lot of the H-E-B on Southeast Military Drive when security guards confronted a man who officers say was firing a gun; the man allegedly shot at the guards, they fired back and he was taken to a hospital. The incident reopened questions about safety along that busy stretch of shops where residents Dahila Medina, Moncia Mackey and Maxmilliano Montez have watched new development and a rise in police calls. San Antonio Police Department data show officers have been called to that location more than 100 times this year for a mix of incidents, and locals are debating whether more visible security would help. H-E-B responded to inquiries by emphasizing store safety as a priority.

According to investigators, the confrontation began when security guards approached a man who was in the store’s parking lot and allegedly firing a weapon. Police say the man shot toward the guards and they returned fire, striking him before he was transported to a hospital for treatment. That sequence of events left neighbors on edge and drew a heavier patrol presence in the hours after the shooting.

The shooting is not the only troubling episode tied to this H-E-B. Just last month, SAPD officers were called after a customer said he captured two alleged thieves on his phone trying to steal his truck and later returning to retrieve a cellphone left behind in the attempt. That man told investigators he felt threatened and that the video he recorded showed a suspect pulling out a gun, a detail that underlines the unpredictable and sometimes violent encounters popping up in parking lots and storefronts.

San Antonio police statistics show this specific location has generated more than 100 calls for service so far this year, covering everything from lost property and minor traffic accidents to several assault-related reports. That level of repeated calls paints the area as a busy hotspot where routine errands can occasionally escalate into serious incidents. For residents and business patrons, those numbers translate into a steady background anxiety about safety during everyday activities.

Local resident Dahila Medina summed up a common sentiment when she said, “I feel like they should add more security if anything to help people ease their minds,” Medina said. She and others said security presence needs to be obvious and reassuring, not tucked away in the shadows. For many shoppers, visible guards and better lighting feel like practical, immediate steps to restore a sense of normalcy.

Moncia Mackey, who spends time and money at businesses along Southeast Military Drive, warned that even stepped-up security has limits. “We can’t stop the criminals. We can’t stop them. I don’t care how much we patrol, or we put safety out here,” Mackey said. “Somebody going to get through and do something crazy.” Her view reflects a hard truth: preventive measures can reduce risk but cannot eliminate the chance that someone intent on harming others will find a way.

Mackey also pointed to the area’s rapid change as a factor in the spike in calls and the sense of unease. “I think it’s more so the apartment complex they are putting around here. There’s more people coming into San Antonio. We’re growing a lot,” Mackey said. “So, yeah, you got to pay attention to your surroundings.” The combination of new apartments, restaurants and big-box stores means more foot and vehicle traffic, and with more activity comes more opportunities for conflicts to flare.

Maxmilliano Montez offered a caution about human behavior around familiar places, saying, “Complacency, that can be a thing that can happen … it can hit you because you wouldn’t expect it,” Montez said. When shoppers assume a plaza is safe simply because it is busy or new, they may let down basic precautions that once felt routine. That lapse can make ordinary errands riskier than people realize, especially in spaces where criminal acts have already been reported.

KSAT contacted H-E-B officials about Monday night’s shooting, and an official responded via email with a short statement that read in part, “At all of its stores, security and safety of our customers is a top priority.” That response echoed what patrons have been asking for: clear, ongoing efforts to protect shoppers and staff. Whether that means more visible security, improved lighting, coordination with SAPD, or other measures, residents and business owners say they want action that matches the volume of calls and the reality of recent incidents.

Hyperlocal Loop

[email protected]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Recent News

Trending

Community News